Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Sunday 12 June 2011

Mile Marker 418: Puerile Vainglory

When I think of false pride and the exaggeration thereof, I can only think of the self-expression of cuteness involving the gang. Let me explain. It was a rather recent (recent being about a decade or slightly more) phenomenon that we see the 'V' sign making its appearance in photographs. If we see it as a victory sign among rebels in war-torn regions in the world (some raise their fists) or a victory salute, now we have it next to the face and the face usually belongs to a girl.

So, besides the V sign (or 2), I've seen 1, 5 and even 2 to the second power (2^2). I'll let you imagine how those were placed. As far as our being vain is concerned, it all began with this:

Yen Ying, final year undergraduate. Honours year if you'd like.
Somewhere, someone somehow came up with this bright idea of getting everyone to pose in the same manner and then get everyone on Facebook to vote for a winner. In no time, everyone submitted their shots and it's not without variation to the original pose. I never thought my picture would see the light of day, so to speak.

Here goes. Some pictures are not in there due to some reasons (you know what I mean). As always, click to enlarge:


Edit: June 13, here's a video by Wong Fu Productions on the evolution of the "Peace" sign. Entertaining but lengthy.


And oh, since Keng Chong had too much free time then, he did these too:


1 comment:

  1. The year book picture of Kelv is the all time favourite...can't stop laughing at it...lol

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/