Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 20 June 2011

Life in 23.976 FPS

Faster or slower depending on your gadget. But we're not discussing frame rates here. I can't think of a better title so I figured 23.976 frames per second (on NTSC) would do. Jubilee Project and Wong Fu Productions both make good videos and that actually reminded me of my days before Youtube became so popular. Way back when I'd download files at 3KB/s on a dial-up. It's only the television then.

Mention the name Yasmin Ahmad and I can guarantee you that the first response would be something like, "Oh, the late Yasmin Ahmad. I will miss her great TV commercials!" Yes, her TVCs are that good. I remember the few times when the ads were too much for me.

To put it simply and understate the messages contained inside, they speak out against racism and they show the relationship between people; devoid of rhetorics and superfluous embellishments, both of which are hallmarks of a politician's speech.

I have a folder full of her videos and I'm randomly picking one from Youtube to put it here (search with words like "Petronas", "Yasmin Ahmad"). One thing's for sure, major celebrations like National Day, Hari Raya, Chinese New Year and Deepavali will remind us all of the time when we shed a tear each time the commercials air. And we looked forward for more.

Who'd forget the National Day ad about the three friends who were stung by wasp and accompanied one of them for his circumcision? Or my favourite about how a couple gets all impatient with the invalid man only to learn that their actions are being impressed upon their kids. And oh, she makes good films too. I love Muallaf.

Alright, time to get some shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/