Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Benevolent Sexism

That, to some, also means chivalry.
God forbid that we should mistake acts of kindness and empathy for oppression.
When I’m out shopping with my partner, he always carries the heavy bags. He’s stronger than I am. He does it without thinking, and I always acknowledge his help. It’s what people do in relationships.
Mary Schneider's article Is Chivalry Sexist? reminds me of the time in high school, specifically during English lessons, where we'd start a discussion on various issues grouped under what I call the [all-too-common] battle of the sexes.

My little acts of chivalry wasn't directed at my other girl classmates. I mean, there's nothing that needs a second pair of manly hands... Ok, boyish hands. It was the teacher's laptop. Man, laptops produced post-Y2K (not that there weren't any laptops before 2000) were heavy. Anvil-heavy. Or books. Holding the door. You know, those things? I think I made a good impression on Mrs Gan and also the lovely Mrs Doreen.

Now, I'm not the teacher's pet and no, I don't think we have such a thing in school. The teachers and students here share a very special bond. We respect our teachers and they never condescend to us. We spoke at length, we joked and we laughed. And I've learned so much from Mr Ian Howell; from the Russian Tsar to Latin and French. That man is a walking encyclopaedia.

Speaking of school, I think all those titles and special status heaped upon many other schools in the country comes to nought seeing what goes on, on the inside, day in and day out. Alright, I'm being a little biased here but... it's true! LOL!

What about now? I think I'm more aware of who's around me, thanks to Form Six where we have girls joining us (we're from an all-boy school up until Form 5). There are times when the tongue needs a bridle. Or to keep a comfortable distance, physically. No more slaps on the back or a friendly jab at the ribs. Those little things that show respect and quell any uneasiness in the fairer sex.

Guess I'm saying that I'm not the little boisterous bast--- brat anymore. A fine, young man I reckon. *stroking my beardless chin* Aha! I'm such a swellhead!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/