Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 30 May 2011

The Quarter Mile

Ah, life is synonymous with a dragstrip don't you think? Optimum tyre conditions, perfectly-timed gear changes, the many modifications to ensure a winning run. From start to finish, there's a constant... Or rather, two: Time and competitors. And I could never understand why life's got to have competitions. Safe me the preaching about competitions bringing out the best in an individual. It breeds selfishness and all the unnecessary paranoia... *fades away*


It’s one of those days when someone you’ve not spoken to suddenly appeared and greeted you. What happens next? You either return the greeting then find an excuse to leave or start a conversation. I chose the latter.

The last time I met Wong (or the Talking Llama) was during our friend’s wedding back in late 2009. So, what do two males talk about on a Sunday night? Girls you say? Let’s just say I’m not that kind of person (shameless self-praise!) It’s about what we’re up to so far and the dreaded reality of life. Well, he’s cool about the dreaded part though. And I’m still trying my best to go against the flow of a programmed lifetime: study, work, earn, spend, earn, retire, and then leave the world full of regrets.

We did talk about quarter life crisis. Say what? Taking our lifespan to be 100 years, our current age would be half of the midlife crisis hence quarter. This begs the question, what happens during quarter life crisis?

According to him, and I quote verbatim,
Quarter life crisis: the times when u wonder where the hell u are in terms of career and life... then, what the hell ur supposed to do next and then it hit u, u have absolutely idea....and whats worse, u realise, there's no motivation also...
Ah, that pretty much sums up what most people felt. That is if they do sit down and think. There’s some truth in that. You see, I always think what I’d do after finishing studies and whether it’s something I really wanted to do. One on hand I have to be practical and on the other, I should go with my desire to be useful instead of being like the selfish majority.

May 30, 2011. Time’s running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/