Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Saturday 28 May 2011

A Peculiar Pair of Itchy Feet

After much blood and bombs since the First World War, I’ve entered the Yugoslav Wars. Which got me thinking, how much does it take to start a conflagration fueled by ethnic dissensions? Not much when you have foul-mouthed bigots in the country. I shan’t afford them too much attention though. Spoils my day and wastes your bandwidth.

And as I trawled the net taking in as much as I could, I realized I’m “in Europe”. Every so often, I hear how many dream of (and many set foot on) Europe. The usual ones are England, Italy, Germany, and France. Nice places (see the background of the blog?) I must say. I find myself rather weird when it comes to my choice of places to go.

Whilst they screamed Paris, I chose Parnu. Others say Beijing and I looked at Baku. I have nothing against their choices but I prefer somewhere people don’t hear about everyday. I still want to see the aurora borealis one day and walk the streets of Bruges.

First on my list though, I’d love to visit Poland and Israel. I guess Auschwitz and Yad Vashem are the reason behind my choice; not because of any morbid fascination with death. The Smithsonian Institution will be next and then onboard a train on the Trans-Siberian Railway.


Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/