Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Selamat Hari Raya, Hari Kebangsaan, and Selamatkan Saya

If firecrackers are synonymous with Chinese New Year 20 years back, that startling but familiar boom now announces the start of Hari Raya and even Deepavali (in October; chapati and briyani!). Once again, technology has [nearly] replaced the conventional telephone (you know, those land line phones) calls and greeting cards.

Ketupat (Source: stock.xchng; boy am I glad I found ketupat on a stock photos site)

So, being the progressive person that I am (ahem!), I'm one of those people sending my wishes via SMS and on Facebook. I shall not repeat myself here and I don't think I want to either.

After 54 years, I honestly wish we can do better compared to our ASEAN neighbours. Many know the laughable yardstick used by the government to gauge how "well" the economy's performing. *winks*

Sometimes it's true that "absurdity rules Malaysia" and we have a handful of leaders to thank for that. Still, I look to sporting events and those public gatherings (read BERSIH rally) to see a homogenous Malaysia. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: that true harmony among the people cannot be seen on TV. I'm blessed to live everyday with these bunch of fantastic people.

When mcDonald's gets too costly, there's always Ramly burger at half the price and, depending on individuals, twice the enjoyment. Fries and Coke not included.

It is them that I think of whenever some bigots threatened to shed blood or to make BBQ. I recall the always-mirthful meals at Sungai Nibong and Hammer Bay when I'm asked to eff off (excuse me) to where I came from.

"I can't possibly go back to my mother's womb, can I?"

Fact is, this ain't a bad place to live in. Although we've had tremors and felt the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami, nobody fears a drive-by shooting whilst sipping teh tarik at the mamak stall. As far as I know, nobody scoffs at me when I dined at the warung or when I ordered burgers outside 7-Eleven.

Was I being naive? A utopian idealist hoping against hope? I sure hope not.

Rendang, need I say more?

Now after wishing everyone Selamat Hari Raya and Selamat menyambut Hari Kebangsaan, I wonder who's going to selamatkan(save) me from deadlines and a big load of stuff to type. The only thing that motivates me is the Raya open house cum Mooncake Festival cum birthday celebration this Saturday. The wound in my mouth healed nicely and I can't wait to have ketupat and rendang.

Where can I get my hands on some sparklers?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/