Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Happy Birthday, Blog!

Four years ago on this day, I made my first post here. In the days that follow, I’ve fiddled with the layout and picking up HTML in the process (it’s CSS now! Gosh!). It certainly wasn’t the one-stop destination for web surfers and it still isn’t; at least not for the majority of people out there.

I don’t usually keep track of August 23 until a week ago when I posted the video about Nick. Anyway, this is one place I escape to ever so frequently and speak my mind. Besides, where else I could put up my poems for the world some people to see if not here in my little dominion – one that’s demarcated by nothing more than a URL.

Source: alicja_sto on stock.xchng
Wicks & Waxes
Someone once asked why the site is called such and that we’re not able to count “wax”. Since I didn’t provide any explanation before, I might as well do it here. I meant for wicks to be all the posts I made, each a manifestation of my thoughts (wax) for everyone to comprehend (light). Still, though debatable, we couldn’t count wax. That’s simply the transitive verb, wax.

And then it wanes
Now, if anyone doesn’t know, it’s the opposite of wax. I wasn’t that diligent back then and there’s a time when I got too lazy to post anything here. I realized when I subject myself to some sort of routine, it takes the fun away. Still, it’s been awhile since I waxed poetic about life.

Durability of an oak
Now, it takes some discipline to faithfully do something even if that something’s an enjoyable thing to do. On some days, I do force myself to type a few words and somehow the ideas will flow then off I go until the last full stop (or period). But the one thing that kept me going then, and the same that encourages me now, is the visitors here. Knowing they read and even better, leaving their thoughts thereafter.

Quercus coccinea - Steve Baskauf
That brings me on a very significant part of this blogging journey...

It’s the best of feelings when I get told people can relate to that which I wrote (especially the poems). I don’t need each post, pictures, music, and videos to mean something to people but as long as they find one or two that’s meaningful, it felt nice. Felt.

In the last month of ’08 and early ’09, there was a back and forth correspondence with one “Sophie”. Now, Sophie was someone who appreciates what I wrote and it was nice exchanging emails over two months. Alas, some encounters do end and end it did. The last email I got was two days after my birthday. As much as I'd like to know why, I don't think I'm going to ever find out.

Oh well, I hope Sophie’s doing well right now.

Shout outs to people who visits frequently and faithfully read over the years and “Sophie” deserves a special mention: thank you. God bless you all!
 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on following ur passion that takes u into another year of sharing u with the rest of us! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the tree fits into the story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.

    It began with the common name of that tree and "Sophie" was used to humanize it.

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/