Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Sunday 31 July 2011

Whispering in the Dark

Hello World!

Ah, those two words marked my foray into the world of programming. Back in varsity, I’m presented with two choices for a compulsory subject: Calculus or Programming (in C++). Being the idiot in math, I’d naturally go for computer stuff. How wrong I was; to think it’s about writing a working program. We have to work out the mathematical formulae to calculate the value of some spheres and some stuff about progression. I wonder how I survived that one.

Oh, I’m getting pretty good at C++ now besides Visual Basic and Java. Thanks to the fantastic books by John Smiley from the library. The best thing is that I don’t have to cram everything in 14 weeks. Just go at my own pace in a "simulated classroom atmosphere"

Stock from stock.xchng

It’s 1:32 AM right now and I can hear the revving from a performance exhaust in the distance. Saturday nights are never old, are they? I looked out my window just now and pretended I saw that beautiful skyline of Portland, Oregon. I don’t know, besides aurora and some deserted highlands, I love looking at randomly-lit cityscapes with their reflections on the water. Call me short-sighted since Johor might look just as great at night when viewed from across the strait in Singapore. The Kuching waterfront too, for that matter. Still, I like the night time view of the Red Square in Moscow, New York, Tallinn, Chicago, Bruges, and many more places fitting my inadequate description. Speaking of New York, CSI:NY and The Apprentice did well to win me over; yellow cabs, dark buildings, dark orangey sky, and steam rising up from some manhole or pipe.

Anyway, if you’d rummage through my archive you’d see my other make-believe journeys to Vienna and my favourite places: Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico; although I didn’t make a direct reference to them. Back then (and I still do), I was thinking about mountains, valleys, and plains.

Eyes are getting heavy. I’ve just finished answering questions on YAHOO! ANSWERS. Figured, earlier, that since I’ve got nothing to do, maybe I’d help the folks out in Biology but I ended up answering more questions in the Relationship section, telling smitten kids to go easy (you know what I mean), giving my two cents to lovelorn guys, and imploring pregnant mothers to stay off alcohol – sending them to CDC’s site on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). Ha! What’s gotten to me? Too much damaging “answers’ on Y!A maybe? I'm not a pro and with failures of my own, I'm just another person who 'understands' what the other person goes through.

Time to turn in. Good night. Or спокойной ночи . Yes, I’m glad to announce I can read Russian now but I don’t understand [virtually] a word of what I read. I’d need Google translate for that. Learning the Russian alphabets is fun and easy. Try it sometime. Takes no more than 4 hours and a few hours each day, thereafter, to recap. Hope life's treating everyone well. I'm not feeling particularly happy but I hope I did some good for someone among the 6 billion. =)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/