Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 1 July 2011

Thinking of Me: Niceties

It’s almost lunch time and I left my water bottle at home. Either I’m getting old or my mind’s somewhere else. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re thinking it’s with someone else. All I think of, besides completing my thesis, is me.

I’m thinking whether my being nice and all could mock me one day. I’m thinking whether my being cordial with people could leave me high and dry. Was I being too nice? Should I be glad or feel plain stupid?

Not that I’m looking to change or anything like that. It’s just that I feel that nice people, or in my case nice guys, seems to be on the losing end. Knowing me, some might think I’m too obsessed with nigahiga’s Nice Guys or with Wong Fu Productions’ Just A Nice Guy. Fact is, I loved both the videos and I think there’s some truth in them. Not gospel but a ubiquitous occurrence. I’ll leave it to you to judge but do finish all three parts of Just A Nice Guy even if you hate Asians.

I know all too well about preserving what I have and getting all teary in quiet. I know the feeling of being used and left unappreciated. But I never forget the smiles and thanks I get from being myself, nice. At this point, you’d think I’m looking for recognition and accolades but I’m not. I’ll still do what I can for anyone who’d ask.

Then why feel bad, you might ask? Well, I suppose we can tell when someone behaves differently at different times? Say, Jim calls and texts when he’s bored, lonely, and in some trying situation. Then Jim couldn’t be bothered about you when he’s surrounded by all the good things.

Perhaps, Jim isn’t a very sensitive person and he truly appreciates the help rendered to him. Who knows, Jim isn’t someone who’s used to saying thank you or say something to that effect. After all, Jim is being himself and maybe the next Jim who comes along will be better. Still, there are Jims out there who think only of themselves.

As for me, I hope I’ll know what to do if that day ever comes. Anyway, time to send a friend to the bus terminal. And today's Friday... Movie night! In my room, on my laptop, of course.

Nice Guys finish last? I won't refute that.


Just A Nice Guy - Part 1


Part 2


Part 3

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/