Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 22 July 2011

Dating My Friends

January 13; February 13, 16, and 25; March 25, and 28; April 22; May 5, and 15; October 10; November 6, 17, and 21; and December 31. There you go, dates served up by my about-a-quarter-of-a-century mind. I’m not trying to prove anything other than the fact that I have people to wish on their birthday on both halves of the year.

Ok. That was a pathetic attempt to breathe some gaiety into the opening lines. But, it’s a Friday! Why the dates, you might ask? Well, one of the simplest things to remember about people and one that doesn’t change is the date of birth. And then on to more personalized preferences such as color, food, clothing, and the sometimes quirky list goes on.

Does the act of remembering or simply having a good memory the hallmark of a worthy friend? Nay, don’t think so. After all, it’s just natural we put all the dates into Google Calendar. Wait, Facebook will do a better job. *winks*

I’d like to think of myself as a trustworthy and a dependable person to all my friends. It’s not that I’m forced or anything. I’d just do whatever I can knowing full well that I’m human too – that there’s every possibility that I’d fail sometimes.

Be it malware, blue screens of death, 8100030d errors, toothache, dying pets, or YouTube links, I’d attend to them all. Weird right? Come to think about those things, I’m thankful because it felt really good after that; knowing that the binaries are back where they should belong. Oh, if it weren’t for those Youtube links on my IM, I wouldn’t have heard of WongFu Productions (yet) or be treated to some of the nicest music. Yes, I enjoyed the MADtv skits, too, but I much prefer Russell Peters.

Still, sometimes I’m tempted to go, “Told ya. Serves you right.”

That’s when their legs got bitten off swimming in a shark infested area despite being amply warned beforehand. I suppose I’d rather have a limbless friend than a dead one. Here comes J!

So, take 5 minutes and think of someone close to you – someone who used to be – and see how many things you recall about that person. Most importantly, think of something noteworthy each of you did for the other.

Done? Pray for that person.

And I’d leave you will the following words by Maya Angelou,

...people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Good night, people.

The author believes in giving everyone (friends and family) his best because they deserve it. Although dating means more than just a romantic courtship or some sort of meeting, the results that Google return usually points to that sort of dating. He recommends adding the word 'radioactive' in front of the search query.
 

2 comments:

  1. i like the quote...gonna edit it inside my latest post :P

    btw, u really got good memmory..erm..i can think of a few important one only..

    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah... like I said, we don't necessarily need to remember dates. It's the little things that count. Those that were sewn together to form some sort of a tangible fabric we call friend- or relationship.

    I get birthday wishes from many people; some of whom I've never spoken to at all for the past 364 days.

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/