Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Wednesday 20 July 2011

The Little Boy at the Window

So, I went to the mall (Gurney Plaza) today in search of some postcards. I have MPH bookstore in mind too since I’ve been patronizing Borders (at Queensbay Mall) in the past years. If you don’t already know, virtually all bookstores here in Malaysia are located in malls. No one would want to read of my love for books and bookstores so I’ll just stop here.

But, I love spending my time there. Alright, I won’t say anymore. I promise.


[Fast forward to my making payment at the counter and walking out of the place]

I walked past a crowd of tourist milling outside Artist Gallery, the music and home entertainment store. Funny that they sell DVDs instead of artworks. Maybe "artist" is missing an “e”. Anyway, I continued walking. This time passing a Logitech store and both the G25 and G27 racing wheels caught my attention. Complete with a bucket seat and a wide screen TV.

"These are rich kids’ toys," I thought to myself.

Not feeling anything negative in particular although I must admit that my eyes used gleam when met with one of these units on display. Ah, what are simulation racing games without a proper wheel...

Anyway, after I passed by mobile phone and camera (one of my interests) retailers, I reached Evolution Music House. A very different ambience greeted me. I stood in front of the store but not directly at the entrance; more like a few feet to the left near the huge glass window. Pianos and keyboards at one corner, guitars suspended on the racks bolted to the wall, and drum sets on a raised platform screaming their brands at me.

There are reasons I stopped and peered into the place. The guitars. The man – I think the employee on hindsight – at the piano playing one of the most soothing tunes I’ve heard. But a family of four was the focal point. They were at the guitar section. Mum attending to the lil’ guy whilst the younger daughter looked on. Perhaps her turn at the piano will come soon. And dad was talking to one employer near the counter.

I was genuinely happy at what I saw. So much so I felt my lips pursed into a slight smile. Parents taking interest in their children and letting them choose what they like instead of imposing on them. Yes, I don’t know why they were there or the reason behind why mum and dad wanted to start their kids on music, but it’s so nice to see how involved they were.


For what I didn’t have then, I wasn’t feeling rueful nor am I now. After all, I can always teach myself to play [the guitar or any other things] like what I’m doing now. It’s just one of those days when you’re delighted with what you see.

Perhaps, I’d write about loving parents missing their child’s needs and ended up stifling them next.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/