Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 13 February 2009

Send-A-Mail-To-The-President Drive

Students send e-mails to Obama to -- what?! I'm out of words for the "ingenuity" of some people to stop the conflict in West Asia. How should I begin?

History showed us that talks and discussions often involved a third person, a mediator. Some were successful and some ultimately failed. So far so good. I wouldn't criticize people, in this case the students, opposed to war and it's fine with me if they show solidarity with the Palestinians. Some are passionate and sincere, and I respect that. But there's one thing they ought to understand (and made to understand): It takes two to tango. If I have people lobbing grenades into my residence, I wouldn't look at that person and flash the "peace" sign.

I'm opposed to war and violence but these aren't happening only in Palestine. Take five and think for a moment, we'd come up with many hotspots in the world. Now, don't people die in these places? Aren't there violence and injustice?

It's good to inculcate love and the desire for peace in each and every child. I would, in addition to war and violence, talk to them about showing sympathy (for people and for animals), respect, the evil of corruption as well as the importance to have non-vacillating principles.

Camp David Accords, Egyptian–Israeli Peace Treaty, Oslo Accords, Taba Summit, Arab Peace Initiative, and the list goes on. Like I said, these talks and meeting ended with varying outcomes running the gamut from success to inconclusivity to failure but each is a milestone to achieve a possible peace in that region. To those that didn't take part in such discourse could do more than just burn flags, call for boycott, and now we have "Send the President an E-mail". It's true that the US could do more (I remembered seeing the picture of Rabin, Clinton, and Arafat) but like everyone else in the current economic situation, people are busy stimulating the economy. For all the talks held in various parts of the world and engineered by both the US and EU, the outcome hinged on the willingness of both parties (Israel and Palestine) to accept terms. If both are hard-headed, what else could others do?

If we have the resources and manpower, why not aid the suffering Palestinians directly? We sure have enough doctors. I'd be begging to join Mercy if I were a doctor. Leave all the talks to the politicians, which incidentally, think more of politicking than governing. There are many more pressing issues affecting the nation and the world at large and it'd be an oversight to just dwell on a matter. By all means, help the Palestinians but I can't stand the hypocrisy behind the drive. Do more and talk less. By doing, I meant actions that aren't laughable.

Anyone care to join me in sending PM Abdullah e-mails?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/