Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 9 February 2009

Life in Motion: The Types of People I Love

The flight took off after a 30-minute delay. With each passing seconds, the white tension fabric roof of the airport shrink into a mass without definable shapes. I could no longer make out each of the pointed cone-like structures. A moment ago, it was a unique architecture to behold. The golden rays cast an orangey hue to what appears like a snow-capped mountain peaks at dawn and dusk.

"I'd visit the Rockies next time", I thought to myself.


Time to plug the earphones in. The in-flight entertainment in this craft doesn't come with the AVOD, just a simple music selection when you plug the airline-issued headphone into the jack at the armrest. My own list of music would sound better and definitely more entertaining than the movie being shown now, the one I've seen for a few times now. Though not the noise-cancelling type, the rather costly earphone plugged into my ears is serving me well. The cabin sound quickly become a white noise. First two on the list are scores from the anime Blood+, composed by Mark Mancina and Hans Zimmer. Next comes the song Diva by Elin Carlson, written and produced by Mancina. Piano, guitar, and drum form the majority of intruments heard in the songs played. Some slow and some fast, with an addictive beat. Eyes closed but I'm enjoying every moment of it. The melodies and sound made by traditional instruments did transport me back in time too.

These people, the musicians, especially those who make a living but may not necessarily make it big, are those I hold in high regards and with utmost respect. These folks create some of the best tunes and melodies we've heard all our lives. To pass a slighting remark on musicians is unforgivable. I will not turn away or lose interest just because musicians don't earn four to five figures a month. I remembered how these gifted individuals serenaded the guests at my convocation barely a year ago. The ensemble may not be the best of the world but it certainly is a level above everyone in that hall. Without such people, wouldn't life be a boring and mundane affair? Living each day void of music would be unimaginably difficult. Since I don't play any instruments, I'd take the role of an audience, appreciating the music. The music continues and the voices of K, Kanon, Angela Aki, Watanabe Manami of Jyukai, as well as the noteworthy voice of Hajime Chitose, one with a falsetto effect, continues to lull me. The faster ones like Mai Mirai and Kyuukei Jikan Juppun by Saeka Uura add a vibrant touch and provided an uplifting mood to an otherwise dull and somewhat turbulent journey. Then comes the ballads, in Mandarin, Malay, English, and even Spanish. Wonderfully composed; meaningful words structured to blend harmoniously with the message of the song. Gosh, creative people!

"Excuse me, Miss", I called out to the air hostess after she attended to the passenger in front. "Could I have a slice of lemon please?"

"A moment, sir."

I looked out through the arcylic glass and it's already dark, occasionally lighted by flashes of lightning.

She returned with two slices of lemon, "Here you go".

Her face resembled that of Kitahara Aiko, the girl singing Sekaijuu doko wo sagashitemo, now playing halfway through the 3:22 duration.

"Anything else, sir?"

Realizing I've been staring at her, smiling. "Err, no. Thank you very much."

"You're welcome. We'd serve you ginger tea for dinner later", she said before walking away.

Another 16 hours of flying and I have about twice the playing time, well, as claimed by Apple. For now, I'd continue sucking the lemon slices and let the music do its wonders. Fantastic people, creative and gifted. I was envious but now, I'm full of admiration and occasionally, I'd perform with them, imaginarily that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/