Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 30 September 2011

My Trusty Tools: The Pilot and the Zebra

I ran to the post office, walked back, and ran up the stairs to the 16th floor. All of that today, and the days to come, for that faithful mass of muscle weighing less than a pound that kept me going for the past two decades. Well, there are other contributors to life and survival than just the heart but let's not argue.

It was fun to expend all that energy to depletion (nearly) but it also meant a lazy afternoon. My pencil case got my attention but ultimately, I was drawn to its contents. There's the scientific calculator which once elicited a "what is this thing with so many buttons on it?" from my mother.

There they are...
The star in that microcosmic world of writing implements has got to be the Pilot G-1 gel ink pen with a rubber grip. I don't remember when exactly I got it but looking at some test papers (yes, I keep my Malay and English essay papers) and exercise books, I've had it with me since 2001. 

Being a leftie, I get some unwanted smears when I write fast. Sometimes, the ink just got through to the other side of the page. I love it on cards and for writing one-liners. I no longer use it for work now. With 1 cm-ish of ink left, I'll let it go into semi-retirement. 

Next comes the Zebra mechanical pencil (I was looking it up and found it on eBay). I love this one a lot. Partly because it's a gift from a significant person. I go to an all-boys school and I'm straight so yeah... 

Unlike my [oft-misplaced] rulers, I make sure this one stays in the pencil case when not in use. Great companion during the hours arranging a poetical piece. 

It really is funny. The heart I mean. One word with two meanings. One with a routine task of pumping blood; incapable of feelings and affected only by electrical impulses. The other is intangible but is most perceptible by everyone: it's capable of reacting to stimuli such as love, hatred, or excitement. It appears to be able to advise, cherish, and affects moods. 

Wait! Do we love with our heart or with our mind then?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/