Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 9 September 2011

Hello, Love!

A year or two ago when I was still receiving my monthly stipend from MOSTI’s scholarship – or the student loan in ’05 for that matter – I’d save some and after deducting for food (sometimes good food to reward myself) and lodging, I’d spent the rest on my beloved.

It was well worth it even when I know my actions raised some eyebrows. They say a nothing gets through to a love-stricken person. Fast forward to yesterday, it felt it's a little painful to part with RM 80 even though that place offered a cheaper alternative for a have-not like me.

Enter Logos Hope. The ship called port weeks ago and it's about time I pay her a visit.

I got myself The Secret Life of Germs: Observations and Lessons from a Microbe Hunter by Phillip Tierno. Seeing what I’m working with now, it’s only natural that the title caught my eye as I scanned the titles left to right, top to bottom. 

Into the cart went One Extraordinary Day by Harold Myra; Breach of Trust, DiAnn Mills; Holman QuickSource Guide to Understanding Creation, Mark Whorton & Hill Roberts; and Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices, Mosab Hassan Yousef with Ron Brackin – the latter being the type of book that will make my week. 

Got this at a third of the price
The books aren’t too old but they’re not the latest either. I don’t see Tom Clancy or Andy McNab but I was not disappointed. The pricing of the books is enough to put a smile on my face. You see, Tom Clancy’s Executive Orders costs RM 33.95 when I bought it 10 years after it was first published. Not exactly the latest right? 
I can only smile
If there was a time when my “voyage” passed through choppy seas, it’s got to be the part after I’ve paid for my purchase. I came to the next section full of thick, we-mean-serious-business kind of books. Any 3 for RM 40. Gosh! One of those reference books costs at least RM 60 (with a student discount) back in the varsity’s bookshop. There’s finance, business, calculus, criminal justice, and anthropology. If only archaeology and say, psychology or some Science-related books were there, it’d have completed the quota. 

Then again, would I have enough money in my wallet to pay for them?

At Borders some time back: Held this book for a good 15 minutes looking perusing the skeletons and its details. Too bad its wrapped
For now, I’m contented with the ones I have with me right now. This time, there won’t be a deadline to return the books and I could have all the time I need to finish them. Gone was the time when I could finish Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code in less than 24 hours.
 
At Port Swettenham
Hey my love, we will be spending more time together now. A book in hand, a bookmark between my fingers, and my back propped against the headboard waiting for you to snuggle up next to me. I love you Miss Read Ing*. 

*Yes, Ing is a surname.

1 comment:

  1. su yean asked me to go this week but I cant..hope can go next week..

    s

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/