Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 16 January 2009

Religious or Spiritual?

I've heard this phrase: I'm not religious but I'm spiritual. It was amusing the first time I heard of it but like all things seen or heard, it may not mean anything to me then. But being religious or spiritual does have differences/do make a difference; the former being all work, drama and routine.

I've learn to always remind people around me and people who comes to me, with tears in their eyes, that a monster who professes a certain faith is in essence a human - fallen one I may add. Surely in our journey through life, we've met with hypocrites such as these and myself like many tend to see that even the atheists and agnostics are better, nicer, and warmer people. They don't blow their tops whilst preaching love every Sunday. We see perpetual kindness compared to smiles only on Sundays, and a different demeanour on Mondays through Fridays and Saturday being an alternate affair.

God asked us not to judge another but the Bible spoke about hypocrites too; about being light and being salt - in short a testimony. How often we hear terms like religious fanatic? Guess that comes from people trying to scare others with hellfire and doing what's right (charities, alms, prayers, fellowships, and the list goes on) but missing the core: Love.

With love comes corrections and to a certain extend, chastisement. But not a good round of berating and humiliation right? Wrong. This is certainly true and exist almost everywhere. To the meek and lowly, take heart and know that we're humans. As much as I don't buy this excuse, know that a religious person so eager in welcoming us to join his/her church is fallen; much like you and I.

Religion can never make one a good person. Today, it's filled with so many kinds of rules and conditions so much so the real teaching and its fundamentals are shrouded behind all the activities. Only when seeking God and understanding God-likeness take precedence over religious routines can one truly shine. Disagree? Understandable since this one comes from a human too huh?

And I wonder what happened to love and peace, as taught by every religion in the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/