Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Wednesday 21 January 2009

I Have A Dream

"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real... They are serious
and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But
know this, America – they will be met."

-Barack Obama, 44th US President, in his inaugural speech

How nice. And how I wish my own leaders would say and do the same thing instead of living in denial - how the country will not be affected by the economic slowdown worldwide. I'm already feeling the pinch. How I hope for someone who genuinely care about race relations instead of just using the issue to garner votes from a certain quarter of the public.

"...and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and
slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot
be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you..."


I like the above (yes, I know the speech may not be written by Obama himself but by his team) and Malaysia may not face external threats but one should do more than locking up journalists, writer, or a Member of Parliament, or vigilers and cyclists for making their voices heard. As far as I know, a government is mandated to protect the people. Mere dreams?

To boycott US products or not; and to be optimistic or otherwise of the new President, let's not be so quick to point fingers and run down others when the plank is in our eyes. See clearly and don't oppose/support blindly.

Edit - 21:14

Full transcript of the presidential address here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/