Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 3 October 2011

Bloody Bullies


Ah, the kind of headline that almost always puts a smile on my face. There are a few definitions of bullying that I know of, but apart from the occasional teasing / name-callings, I wasn’t subjected to a daily torture – physical or otherwise.

We all grow up and become friends. Suddenly, we laughed about our parents’ names. Come to think of it, it was childish to 1) seek pleasure in calling a classmate by his father’s name and 2) react angrily when someone greeted our pops.

One of my favourite PSAs by JP

After growing some pubes and learning to respect the other person, we soon channel that effort into lively discussions with our teachers: tantalum digging, girls, etc. I guess I was lucky that I never encountered a violent bully trying to experiment inelastic collision with my head and the wall.

We've heard of worst cases both at home and abroad. I can never forget Phoebe Prince whenever the subject of bullying comes up.

Maybe I should be thankful that the strict discipline in school. Yes, I’ve been on the receiving end of the rod. Once when all 38 of us got caned for going too far on the decibel scale. Heheh!

But I’m not indifferent to bullying. I was 9, and still learning to make subjects and verbs agree. My cousin’s already in Australia with his parents.

...great news here in Australia. I might be skipping a grade.” is one of the many things he wrote about in a Christmas card. He also described the weather in Adelaide and how much he’s learned in school. Ain’t that obvious, cousin? Even Singapore’s way ahead.

He didn’t tell me about the treatment he got whilst at school. Mum related the incident to me and somehow, [on hindsight] those bathroom scenes from Hollywood are so real. Anyway, they’ve already returned long ago after Uncle Vic finished his studies.

They all have fond memories of their time down under but I was particularly sore about the bullying and some bigoted twats calling out to them whilst walking home, “Boat people, go home!”

Halfway through the post, I stopped and searched myself against the actions that constitute bullying. Lucky I'm not one. Never was too. *winks*

Now for some in-game retribution. Mortal Kombat... Bloody, no?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/