Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Sunday 17 January 2010

Paid Beach. What a bitch!

First and foremost, forgive the choice of word.

I use to tell my friends that the [famed] beaches of Penang along Tanjung Bungah up to Teluk Bahang belong to the rich save for one or two littered with plastics, charcoal and other party leftovers. Why litter and then organize a beach cleanup afterwards? Well, that's another problem.

Tanjung Bungah beach

On any clear night, one would expect to find a few blokes on bikes circling the housing area looking out for party-goers / lovebirds making their way to the "Laluan Awam ke Pantai" (Public Access to the beach) - that's what the city council sign reads - and brazenly asked for money. I wonder how they knew I drove there then. Now, the thought of going to beaches seems to kill the joy when I think of them. It's easy to say ignore them but they'd just do some nasty things to your car just to send home the message that they're lord over the place. The police? Ah, they're busy serving their other duties, if you know what I mean by that. That's Malaysia maybe?

Elsewhere, the beach area is cordoned off and the residence could have a ball of a time in the perimeter. Further up, it's bustling with jet skis, horses (and their poo), para sailing and the other things people do by the beach. I'd rather swim in the pool. Come nighttime, the area is just plain unsafe.

What I'm saying is that beaches are fast becoming "proprietary" and become something having ownership of. I wonder if people in other places fork out a few Euros or Dollars just to park in areas nearby the beach. Savour the beaches we may never have, clean and free for everyone.

South Beach, Miami

Ponte Vedra, Florida. My favourite scene. Thanks to a friend who lives nearby.

Revere Beach, Massachusetts

San Vicenzo beach, Italy. Capri is too rocky for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/