Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Saturday 16 January 2010

Insouciance. Imperious. Impasse.

Two weeks into the new year and I'm feeling really unsure about all the optimism I harboured a fortnight ago. It's still the same people, bureaucracy, and problems; unnecessary impediments, that necessarily slows down work. What's more discouraging is that the amount of work put in generates little in return and that, coupled with the higher ups breathing down your neck expecting something all the time is a serious deadener.

Good thing I learned to fall and land like the cat, or so it seems. I learn to take joy in the little things like when you have an almost clear liquid getting turbid by the hour. Also, as if deceiving myself, I keep hoping and getting all excited about the prospect of getting a new machine to make life much more bearable. Mind you, borrowing things outside the lab is a real test of self control, patience, and long-suffering. Meekness too. It's easy to name who has what but to actually use it, one needs to be nice (at least try to smile) and bear the words slash expression slash imperious behaviour of the little lords.

Let's not get carried away and spoil the rest of the evening for me. I just hope and pray that things will be fine in a few months time. For now, I'm creating a list of have nots that I wish to have (or at least read them) this year. Too new for the used books dealer and too dear to own from the bookstore.

In no particular order, here goes:

King James Conspiracy - Phillip DePoy
Turning the Solomon Key - Robert Lomas
Who Dares Win - Chris Ryan
Quran and Crickets - Farish Noor
Fidel Castro: My Life - Fidel Castro and Ignacio Ramonet
The Imperial Cruise - James Bradley
Dear John - Nicholas Sparks

I'm reading (and bookmarking) some nice books now:

Uncle Jack - Tony Williams and Humphrey Price
Belonging - Sameem Ali
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of A Boy Soldier - Ishmael Beah

Not forgetting for this year and many years ahead:

A DSLR
A Sony PS3
A Logitech G25/27 Racing Wheel

The last three items are more of a dream to pander me whenever I look at them in malls. I miss the insouciant days of yore; growing up at home and in school. I miss school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/