Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 4 January 2010

Heralding Peace in 2010

Here's my take on the Herald issue regarding the use of the word Allah as a pronoun to replace God in the Malay language.

It's so restless everywhere and even on Facebook where the 'defenders' are fanning the whole affair. I think the magazine should just pause and think what is wrong with using the word Tuhan to represent God since in Malaysia (not Saudi) there's a Malay word for it besides Allah.

I don't know if it's about reputation but I think a Catholic (called Christian by others) publication shouldn't strive so much to use a word. It doesn't matter that much does it? It's just not right to fight so much over the use of words and I think they'd just use "God" and avoid so much flare.

I won't risk a backlash by commenting on the Muslim side. But I think everyone should just shut up if they cannot stop resorting to using strong insensitive provocative words.

God bless, y'all.


PS. Oh God, could you please mediate the dispute? But then again, I don't think they'd ever listen to you. After all, they think of themselves as God; playing you. Sigh...

Reads:

High Court grants Catholic publication Herald the right to use ‘Allah’ word again

Minister violated rights of Herald publisher, court told

Government calls for calm over Allah court ruling issue

Allah issue: PM urges calm while Govt appeals court’s decision

Of Herald, Allah (on Malaysiakini) and my chat with Indonesians

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/