Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Sunday 26 October 2008

St. Xavier's Institution: A Sentimental Recollection

Ah, yet again memories of my school (no, not the one in university) played in my mind as I read an article in the Sunday Star.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad and most probably, I'm experiencing the mixture of both right now. Happy that it has come a long way, sustained. Being semi-funded, the school has done a great job by keeping the building from crumbling thanks to many benevolent people, many of whom are ex-Xaverians/La Sallian/Saint - whichever you'd like to address them as. On top of that, we've had successful fund-raising for charity - not bad for a Sekolah Menengah (period) eh?

How many people you meet today who'd describe schooling days with much affection and admiration - both the sign of success of a school in touching the hearts of it's students? Not many. Some would rather not bring up that subject at all. The least I heard was, "Like that only-lor".

Letting my mind jog, it was a warm and breezy afternoon. The school's almost deserted except for a few boys playing street soccer in the quadrangle. My first stop is at the Palm Court. A big Traveller's Palm greeted me and I'd see a few a distance away. A lot of effort has been put into this place by Bro. Charles. The adjoining basketball court is also the place we have our assembly every Friday and also the place for street soccer action; well, it's street soccer when there's space to spare.

Then, I reached the staffroom. It's deserted as well but I'd see myself in that place a few years ago - from handing in exercises to shooting the breeze with these wonderful and friendly souls. Mind you, they're people you'd talk to without fear. We share a special bond with them unlike in some schools where teachers are of the other dimension with a constant barriers around them.

I took a long stroll along the classrooms. Here's where I start my Form One. This is the classroom with the most memories, albeit a painful one. This is where I started dabbling in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, a place where I meet a very special person too. Ah, this Old Science Lecture Theater is where we, the crooners, belt out some sweet oldies: Shout out to Jiwan, Hock Hin, Yan Wai et al.Above the OSLT is the Arts Lecture Theater where we learnt Pendidikan Moral through one creative way - watching movies. See? You'd only get rote learning in other places.

My penultimate destination of my tour is the school canteen. Here, former students like me come back, almost like a pilgrimage, for Curry Mee, Jawa Mee, Char Koay Teow. The place look so new now compared to when I first came here.

St. Xavier's Institution (pic from the Facebook group SXI Alumni)


The toilet is my last stop. I'd take a piss before leaving the place. Over the years, we've had many stories regarding this seemingly ordinary place. From funny to serious to gross, we've heard them all. As I walk along the corridor toward the foyer, I bump into the counselor. A white-haired lady much like Pierluigi Collina. Many requested to get caned and be spared the mental torture by her. A very nice person I'd say of her.

The office is already closed. Soon, Bro. Paul (the Principal) will retire and thus end the era of Christian brothers administering the school. Clouds are already forming and the soft breeze has begun picking up strength. Beautiful facade, both day and night. Let's hope everything I see today are maintained and nothing unnecessary is added. I still remember the time when dim-witted bigots called for the removal of the cross.

It's these Brothers that made the school what it is today. The essence. Far from evangelizing students, it instill noble values as well as discipline into each and every students. Without it, it's no better than any government schools.
With all certainty, I've gained much from the school. A place of education and character-building. A place we learn to touch hearts, a place of giving. Three things I'd always cherish and hold dear in my heart: The memories, the school rally (Alma Mater's Call), and the motto Labor Omnia Vincit.

As much as reliving my schooldays will bring a smile to me, I couldn't help the poignancy that comes with it, especially when the phrase goes like: End of the La Salle Brothers' Era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/