Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Thursday 6 November 2008

Jalan Mati

Don't we ever get bored and even sick if we'd do the same thing, eat the same thing, hear the same thing or see the same thing all the time? I do. The latest installment of the Nothing To Do After Meal series involves a lawsuit against the Penang state government for putting up multilingual road signs. I don't care what language it is as long as I can read them and Georgetown isn't that big either to get lost in.

What annoyed me was how selfish one tend to get. It's not that I'd expect people to be so selfless as to give up everything but there's this thing called tolerance and sharing, the former would be better replaced with acceptance. After all, one pious man said before that God created the world for everyone and that He created people of different colour and tongues so that these myriad groups of people called "human" could meet and live together. We're not created for war or to be subservient to another. All religion taught that we're equal; I said all.

Next, we'd read that this guy filing the injunction belong to a group bearing the word "graduate" in its name. I'd feel ashamed if I were to be in the news and then calling myself a graduate. As if Malaysian graduates aren't infamous enough, such group together with their actions, go on to prove what graduates are good for. I'd give them some directions: Look at social ills. If you're a champion of your race, then why not do something about your community? Then, if you're not so communal, then lobby for better education, better funding, and a better-equipped university. Think how you'd work to achieve unity and Vision 2020. Sorry, I forgot that it may not be possible. If only you people would be so noble.

What would I get if I write a certain word in the "Race" column? What is it that portray the existence and continuation of my race? Race (and culture) isn't something that'd be destroyed merely by not doing the Malay-, Chinese-, or Indian-thing. Just because I don't eat Chinese food doesn't mean I'm less a Chinaman. Or how I wish when I indulge in a Japanese meal I'd be a Japanese. It isn't how much you spoke per day in your mother tongue but it's more of knowing what you are, who you are, and where you are right now. Wrong ah? Oh...

Perhaps only in Malaysia where aid and other privileges hinges on what one wrote in the "Race" column and that is why everyone is so afraid of anything deemed dangerous and a threat to that. Did I mention power just now? As far as I know, no one is above the Constitution and as someone educated (or a graduate if you like), I'm able to sleep at night knowing my rights are protected. How come I don't hear of these graduates say anything about government actions that's against Articles 8 and 10 of the Federal Constitution and also Articles 3, 5, 7, 9, and 20 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of which Malaysia is a signatory.

There you go, do something for the country. After all, isn't it a place where your heart is and where your affections lie? Or am I wrong? God forbid, was it about wealth and power?

Know that more need to be done about the current state of security in Malaysia where criminals are given the free rein and on the contrary, voices of dissent were silenced. Remember that the road demons on two wheels are still around. Then we have drug use among students. What else? Corruption. And also the need for transparency in the government as well as the setting up of the IPCMC. Then the educated masses should clamour for a clear separation of powers, especially between the Judiciary and the Executive branch. How can these skip the minds of the so called "tomorrow's leaders"?

Gloomy isn't it? It's just like today's leaders and peoples' representative; fighting to be communal heroes whilst practising everything opposite of that in their lives. Blood is red, well, as far as we're concerned. Alas, this ideal of mine is also my naivete. We're selfish aren't be? But, knowing that our days are numbered, can't these people for once make life worth living? However we see it, the end of the road is a dead end; or in Bahasa Malaysia, jalan mati.
 

1 comment:

  1. haha.i wrote a same post as u le..but i saved it in my draft..coz when i was writing it, someone was watching me..hehe..working hour :)

    will blog it out too..

    too free la..this kind of people

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/