Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 18 December 2009

I Helped Built and Maintain the KL Tower

"Two tickets please," I started.
"Her you go, two tickets for the observation deck," came the reply after a while.
"How much is it?"
"76 ringgit".

I looked at her for a while before conceding to the towering (looking for puns, lame) price and hand over two notes of fifties. What 38 got for a person? A bottle of tower-shaped drinking water, a coupon to a pony ride (poor pony!), another coupon to the animal park (read reptile park) consisting mostly of reptiles and arachnids, and the F1 simulator (actually an F1 cockpit shaped from - I suspect - fibreglass with a racing wheel and a TV mounted upfront. Simulator?


The trip up was quick and really, it was nothing to shout about except for the interior of the elevator. I guess I'm used to getting up to KOMTAR back in Penang.

It's nice up there though. I circled the observation deck five times since the price I paid still hurts me. Snapped some pictures and dragged myself from the window and into the elevator for another 15 seconds trip down. Going down is always fun.

Got out and approached the booth with lots of pictures and saw mine on the board as well. Pictures of visitors are taken against a [rather beautiful] backdrop and more coupons are handed out.

"Come, have your pictures taken," the usher exclaimed with a wide grin.
"This way please," the photographer beckoned. I'm transfixed to the guys camera. "Come back later for your photos." That's the last I saw of him.

"How much?" seems to be the two words I ask more than any other day.
"Forty." They seem to have different people working together to squeeze money out from visitors (tourist included) but always with a wide, happy smile.

I smiled back and walked away. Next I headed to the F1 simulator.

"We're closed from 3 to 4 pm," and I wasn't prepared for the next line. "We're closed for refreshment." I think I heard right. Refreshment? That was the end of my trip to KL Tower. I paid so much for some unwanted services and a so-called simulator that was never meant to be.

Before heading back to Penang on a limited visibility highway due to the heavy rain, good thing I stopped by the Titiwangsa Lake Gardens (since I don't know how to get to the other one somewhere). It's nice there though a little bit deserted.

Nice eh?

Now it's back to the abattoir called university. Only here do that word applies. I've got my grant and it's time to make that bear fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/