Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 28 September 2009

Meeting a Friend

I can't think right at this hour. I'm preparing for an interview for a research grant tomorrow and decided to deposit a very significant moment today. I'm in Kuala Lumpur at the moment for the said interview and apparently, there was a plan to meet a friend who was out in the cold for a good nine months or so.

It's so good to meet up with someone after that period of time. The knowing smile. The unsaid gladness painted all over the face. Face gleaming. Grinning. Then came the usual what have you been up to and all went into top gear from there.

A bubbling sensation was felt when she began to share how she'd overcome the oft-encountered patronizing behaviour of the so-called men and women of science; people calling themselves scientists and academicians. I'd prefer the term politico-scientist. Never mind me, I'm thinking weird at this time.

On and on she went about the environment, about choices in life, and family members of course. Also, her preparation and application for the Chevening scholarship. Go girl! It was a rather short reunion which lasted the trip from the Institute of Medical Research to Mid Valley City (I'm not sure how far though). What I got? Great feelings and a first day cover; the latter being the (in her words) the most valuable item in her room [located in a rather old student residential hall, I may add].

Next I met up with another friend in Klang, the place one could find the famed bak kut teh or pork rib herbal soup. There were lots of food and catching up to do. Laughs and walkabout highlighted the meeting. Didn't know I'd see another down to earth and simple outlook towards life in the mean world. I've got to better myself rather than complain on and on and did nothing.

Unforgettable trip I reckon.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to meet u too :)seriously..nice to talk to u over phone too..

    sorry for the [cold] nine month or so...kanasai, someone said he forgot d..but he is counting..

    sorry laaaa...

    i realised one odd thing..i dun hv a picture with u..not at all..

    we should take one..

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/