Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Sunday 26 July 2009

Farewell, Yasmin Ahmad. Rest in Peace

"...famed for her advertisements and films capturing the essence of racial harmony in Malaysia"

How true! The most memorable movie, for me, would be Sepet. Of course, weeks ago, my lab mates and I sat down in a circle and started discussing adverts: humorous and meaningful ones. Apart from the yellow Digi man, the memorable ones would be those by Yasmin Ahmad. Come Hari Raya (the Eid), Chinese New Year and Deepavali, one could expect to catch her latest brainchild. People remember Petronas for the adverts but not everyone knew the person behind them.

Like MJ's passing, her's was another shock to me. I was out of the house for the past 24 hours and here I am going online to see what's new. Wham! It hit me.

And I began to think how crappy life could be sometimes. The unseen at the next bend, the unexpected at the next mile. How is it that corrupt politicians and communal bigots don't just fall one after another? Unfair? Perhaps.

...Yasmin's theme of 1Malaysia which is only advocated by our prime minister recently has been in her movies and commercials for a long time...

- CHU SP, Tributes forYasmin Ahmad, The Star Online
Yasmin, may God bless your soul. I may not know you personally but it's a sad day for me and fellow Malaysians. You spoke to us through the silver screen. Some are touching and others cut through into the spirit. Each taught me what it means to be a human, as opposed to an island. And that no one is superior to the other.


Tributes here... Reading each one brought back memories and the lessons.
Another here: Rest in Peace Yasmin Ahmad - Khalisah Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/