Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Monday 15 June 2009

St. Xavier's Institution: Camaraderie and Mirthful Years

It was around 6.35 a.m. when I walked through the silver gates; the schoolbus was pulling away with an unceremonious blast from the exhaust. It was chilly and the building's facade - which I will come to love - seemed ominous. "They'd do with some lighting," I thought to myself.

School's facade: The flag and lighting during National Day and the 150th Anniversary is magnificent

Made my way from the green-tiled porch, through one of the three entrances, into an area with art exhibits. Also visible was the huge Chinese lantern, the one you'd see only during procession and not your ordinary flammable plastic fish and dragon. I'd see a big entrance with the words "Heah Joo Seang Hall" above it. I continued on past the stuffy area and made my way along the corridor. The ping pong area was on my right and on the walls I could see, not decorated table tennis champs but rather, framed pictures of the past La Sallian brothers in their black (some white) cassocks. Did a tour of my own for a good hour in the place I'd call home, the one place where I'll be emotionally attached. I walked back to the green-tiled area and the place is alive with parents and my soon-to-be friends. Crisp and really white school uniforms with matching olive green trousers. I'd literally smell the scent of new fabric on some guys. The place got stuffier by the minute. We then congregate inside the school hall, sat for an hour or so listening to this guy in white cassock.

De La Salle, when I first walked on this green-tiled porch


"Say, good morning Brother when you bump into me," he began. "Greet your teachers".

The rest is history what transpired that morning came to be a part of us, Xaverians, or La Sallians if you like. The date was 5 January 1998.

Thus began my journey in secondary school, one filled with too much memories and each a very good lesson. Being a missionary school, the funds depended very much on our own. Over the years (six for me), we've had numerous fund-raising events: Charity Week and Canteen Day. Huge sums were raised and given away to various charities and the leftovers for the school. Now, the word missionary may sound "dangerous" to some but all my life there (six to be exact), the only thing the La Salle brothers try to do was to produce quality individuals.

The Palm Court (Source: Obnoxious 5xmom)

My first three years, like the next three years, were precious. The bond among us Xaverians (or Saints) is there. The teachers are like friends, you know, the kind where you'd speak to freely about anything. And I mean everything. The barrier wasn't there and far from it, the patronizing attitude you'd see elsewhere. The lessons were great. After all, most guys were old boys and one'd rest knowing that their teacher is nothing but dedicated. The one thing I'd treasure from my days in school will be the camaraderie between myself and my fellow Saints and myself with the trachers. Nothing beats that. And I hold my neck out, daring anyone to show me another place where I'd experience that mirthful days. Trust me, no other place on Earth and varsity is a far cry from it.

I may be like Peter Pan but if varsity is a microcosm of the world, then the school is the microcosm of a warm and loving home, something almost ethereal. Have a Heart, Knowing Your Heritage, A Safe School, 150 years of Touching Hearts, etc. These are the different themes we'd hear each year and while they may be just another phrase to some, there's definitely something to bring home at the end of it.

Friday assembly is my favourite apart from the almost daily fix of street soccer. Although the wait may be painful, I just love hanging around chit-chatting and appreciating God's creation of man's companion - women. *winks* Ocassionally, while congregating at the basketball court, we'd be able to see - live - exhibitionism from one of the rooms in City Bayview hotel just across the road from where we were. The school band, previously known as the Corps of Pipes and Drums, played some of the best tunes, a real treat for many of us. Need I mention that these guys are champions in many competitions in conjunction with National Day? OVer 40 weeks of schooldays a year and one would be forgiven to think that boredom do creep, after all things repeat themselves. Not for me though. It seems that if fun doesn't come, we'd go searching for it, and in the process got ourselves into trouble. Boys will be boys, eh?

The 19th will come upon us in a few more days and it'll mark the end of the La Sallian tradition - one which governs our day to day function in school and without. Bro Paul Ho, the last of the La Salle teaching brothers will call it a day and will have extra hours on Play Station now. I have, with a few friends, visited the school since leaving in 2004 and I must say that each time we went back, there are changes. The pleasant ones would be some upgrades and refurbishments to certain areas of the school. The quadrangle area where we played street soccer (we play it anywhere with space to spare) now has fences. Ah, something akin to the "cage match" in wrestling. Bring it on, grrr...

Quadrangle, this and a few others are places we let it all out. Really, whenever there's a space to spare; two goalpost markers and we're off (Source: Obnoxious 5xmom)


We're not going to deceive ourselves that things will remain the same forever, though. We have more teachers now. By more, I mean those that are out of sync with the La Salle tradition. I've heard comments on their working attitudes and just how far they're willing to go for the school and the students. Certainly, the breed of Xaverians/La Sallians are dying off. Balding old boys retired and dedicated "college" teachers are calling it a day. Math, Chemistry, Biology; it's time for them to see the world. I was wrong when I thought the new wave would take over and carry on the tradition. I'd just see it in their eyes - the motivation and the reason behind their being a teacher.

I'm sure that others like myself wouldn't just stand by and criticize the post-La Sallian brother administration but fervently wish that the Ministry doesn't send more out of sync fellas.

There goes part of my life in my beloved alma mater, a place I call home and a place I still have yearnings for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/