Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Saturday 6 June 2009

Cloak of Power



My intense aversion towards rape notwithstanding, I'm of the opinion that the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty be extended to suspects remanded to "assist" in investigations.

Yes, we know sometimes that such buggers got off the hook when we know full well he did it. But for the Enforcers to play the role of Executioner isn't appropriate to say the least. For anyone who has watched the anime Death Note, I'm sure some of you, throughout the series, may tend to side with Light. I did too. Back in the real world, I don't condone the act of taking the law into one's hand.

It's true these officers may know that this guy is guilty but they're bound to act within the provisions of the law. The only thing that separates them from the street thugs are badges and uniforms.

Speaking of uniforms and authority, I've met with uniformed personnel almost daily and I've got to say this: This pathetic men think the world is beneath their soles and you only need at most 30 seconds to experience how patronizing they are towards the supposed "inferior" students.

Oh, how envious I am towards my fellow students of Middle Eastern descent. And I have, for the past 3 years, asked what is it that I've done wrong to warrant such behaviour from the men in blue. I'm not stupid to just blare things without unsubstantiated, err, proof. I observe things in the lab and I bring that with me outside the lab. I've seen enough: the partiality, the unfairness, the reserved-politeness, and whatnot.

There must be some sort of complex in them that causes them to think that the uniform brings with it power and authority. If the university academics take pride in their prefix, then the guards their uniform. Again, I'm stereotyping and bundling the good ones together with the bad apples but what choice do I have? If nine out of ten cars in Penang are black, what are the chances you'd find a black car when you cross the road?

The uniform doesn't mean anything. If any, it only means that you're bound by law and code of conduct. And you wouldn't need a uniform or a manual to learn courtesy, respect, and fair treatment. You're very much flesh and blood beneath; and let not your nakedness show further.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever u bump into those with blue uniform, just tell them that u r not campus resident, their attitude will change in 180 degrees. My experience hehehe.....!!!

    ReplyDelete

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/