Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 12 June 2009

Operation Aphrodite

Thursday, June 11, 1200 HRS: The first bomb was dropped and detonated right on the predetermined target. Such was its precision that it tore through the balmy afternoon in Universiti Sains Malaysia. Collateral damage was almost nil thanks to the inertial guidance system similar to the one used in the US Peacekeeper missile. The target below was totally caught off guard and no one preempted that although intelligence report and intercepted chatters showed increased activity and border skirmishes. Amid the daze and disbelief it was revealed that over 18 months ago, the frequent communication originating from Kuala Lumpur to the Lorraine Region of France actually paved the way for Thursday's operation. It was perhaps the most devastating after Shock and Awe in Iraq back in 2003. A second smaller but similar one is expected to be detonated exactly 20 hours after the first. The number of casualties weren't immediately known but it'd take a few days before communications destroyed by the resulting shockwave could be up and running again.

In the epicenter - in a room packed with 14 scientists and pseudoscientists to be exact - it came as a complete surprise. I was in that room when halfway through some idle chats it happened. It came like any other flying object, guised in a harmless whirr; almost quiet even as the chain reaction was set in motion. Air around me seemed to be sucked away and voices around me seemed so distant. The heart fluttered and for a moment, I lost my ability to speak and sat there staring into space.

"Is this it?", I asked myself. The other 13 seemed to be in some sort of a trance. Some forced themselves to smile and some in genuine disbelief. And then someone pressed the "Play" button.

I went to an eatery serving Hakka noodle (I had yam rice actually), ate and discussed the day's happening. Driving home, I kept thinking of what transpired between 1200 HRS and 1245HRS. Part of me still reeling from the news.

I'm speechless. Blank. Questions came thick and fast. Where? When? How? What? My supervisor: She has come a long way; seen a great deal of things and having most inflicted on her. On some days, the gloom seemed overwhelming. Now this news? No one knew, at 1200 HRS, how to react. It was a complete surprise, the sort when your company's CEO says, "We're closing down in a month's time". Before we adjourned and part ways, we tried throwing some questions at her hoping she'd enlighten us. Alas, some went unanswered.

Entering Vale of Tempe and its snaking road, I wound my windows down and I find the air hitting my face refreshing. I smiled. My wish is granted. Though the disbelief and the surprise still lingers, it was the most pleasant thing I've heard in months.

There she stood in her orange-red baju kurung, our supervisor began...

"Everyone here already?"

Half leaning on the wooden table by the window, arms folded, she continued, "Mark your calendar on July 11. You guys are free to come over to my house..."

I could see the word "barbecue" in bold on everyone's forehead.

Dread came upon us when it wasn't "barbecue" which came out.

"My house in Perak", she said. After a moment's pause, she dropped the radar-guided smart bomb, grinning, "I'm getting married."

By the time this one is published, the second metaphoric bomb will be detonated in and around the varsity; thus claiming more casualties after the university's student selection disaster. She specifically said, "Keep this among yourselves. I'll drop the bomb on them (colleagues) tomorrow."

So, to my project supervisor Dr Normi Yahaya, a heartiest congratulations as you take the plunge into the married life. A sacred institution established by God, and one that's meant to last. Be blessed and have a great time ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/