Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Saturday 14 November 2009

Pyramids, Mansions, and the Bird's Nest Stadium: The Impressional Excursion (2)

On my shortcomings, facilities and technology, I think it's wrong for one to say that the kind of work I produce is incomparable to those who used some stuff with some grand designs (see the post before this). Well, perhaps it's incomparable to that but that's where it ends. Seeing the field as a whole and seeing how people could produce good work sans the tongue-twisting technology, it's definitely possible to do that too. Problem? I lack strong basic foundation and creativity. Back to school, folks!

The Japanese word muzukashii means difficult. I stand corrected but I understand that it also means that something cannot be done (ability). What do I see myself? Muzukashii-difficult-in-doing-something as well as muzukashii-inability. I've got to buck up.

And lastly, the missing link called networking. Guess what? I was offered 1 Renminbi, a peculiar gift token but I appreciate it nonetheless. It doesn't bother me so much that I wish to throw myself in the path of an oncoming train but I appreciate the little conversations I had with a few people. What I like about the type of conversations I had? The one which migrated from Science to something more human. Warm.

I'm trying not to be politically incorrect here and so, the statement which follows are assumptions and generalizations based on a very small pool of statistically insignificant sample size but it is possible to correlate it with achievement and human nature. Make sense? No? Never mind that then. The Japanese are somewhat proud and unapproachable. The Americans? No luck in eliciting so much as a pathetic hello. The Chinese seems to be full of smiles and excitement. Now, before you jump to conclusions based on the relationship that pride and coldness is directly proportional to achievements, let me say that the Chinese did produce some commendable work and the word TANGIBLE below (para. 4, line 4) comes from their slides.

As for me, it's back to work and recapitulation of what I've done thus far. I'd never stop reflecting on myself because I believe that progress comes when one realizes he or she isn't moving, and realizing that honesty and critical evaluation of things past should be the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/