Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Saturday 14 November 2009

Pyramids, Mansions, and the Bird's Nest Stadium: The Impressional Excursion (1)

I'm not going to talk about architecture although I wish to note that there are pyramids in Bosnia; the first to be discovered in Europe. Read up if you haven't already knew. The International Scientific Conference about the Bosnian Valley of the Pyramids takes the acronym ICBP, the first being ICBP 2008.

Am just back from my very first conference (also an ICBP of sorts) and I must say that the amount of stuff I took in was enormous. That, among others, included food. A lot is in my mind right now and I have no idea how I'm going to let it flow nicely. Perhaps I should preserve that disorder in my mind here.

To begin with, I'd say that observing people when they interact with another of their kind is fun as it is interesting. I mean, these folks are distinguished people, authorities of their respective field of research. They smoke. They drink. They show emotions - agitated, annoyed, displeased, happy, surprise, and the expression goes on. In short, they're very much what I am - human. What differentiates people in the conference, between eminent and inconspicuous, would be 1) thinking 2) attitude 3) the right network and to a lesser but oftentimes seen 4) power plays.

I have 1, 2, missing 3 and definitely not 4 and I must remind myself never to have the last attribute. What I have is not at its fullest potential and what I lack may not necessarily stamp my downfall. It's encouraging to listen to the lectures and see for myself, tangible proof that something does work if enough creativity and effort is put into it. The conference itself is enriching as it is intimidating and if I may add, discouraging. I shall elaborate on the discouraging part shortly.

It's enriching because one listened from one source and then that was built upon by another. I took home a lot of hitherto unheard of things and certainly a lot of reading assignments for myself. It's intimidating due to the kind of work people produce, sheer creativity and ingenious use of technology.

When I say discouraged, many would jump to the conclusion that I've lost my motivation and that I dwell too much on the incomparables: low tech versus high tech. What I'm actually saying (hello, world!) is that I'm lamenting my shortcomings and the lack of useful facilities around me. I'm not saying it's the end of the world. And I've definitely not lost my direction and my aim or everything I've set out to do. Neither am I disillusioned.

You see, others may be kind enough and politely say that my work is interesting (this is an understatement, to say the least) but I don't afford myself dulcet tones of positive appraisals to the extend of being deceived by the seemingly good things. Rather, I subject myself to tough self-scrutiny lest I should rest on my laurels as they say.

I'm not being uptight but I know who I am. I want to better myself if I know I've yet to reach my limit. I have much to do and more to offer and currently, I'm just not good enough at the moment. I'm sometimes the green-eyed monster (no, it's not alright to be one) but I'm not one who slogged to achieve something blindly, or God forbid, gain something at the expense of someone else.

On resting on laurels [beds of roses or whatnot], I spoke to someone about his work and he was oh-so-excited about the results he's gotten so far that what comes out from the mouth after that borders on arrogance and selfishness. I'd just afford a wry smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/