Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Friday 17 April 2009

What's in a name?

What's in a name? What's to a position? What's fancy with titles? I believe the net and the papers are abuzz with news of Amanda Holden, oh no, I mean Susan Boyle since her performance on the 11th this month. She now has her Wikipedia page (so has Amanda Holden). Ok, let's not digress shall we?

I guess the time has come for Miss Boyle to be in the spotlight after years of sneers, jeers and cruel teasings; even up until the moment before her it-gave-me-goosebumps performance - a rendition of I Dreamed a Dream. With a whopping 19 million views and increasing on Youtube, I'm sure many saw the cynical faces on some audience when she said she wants to be as famous as Elaine Paige.

"What? A professional singer? Did she say Elaine Paige? ", uttered Cynic #1 to her friend.
"I think so. She needs an examination up there I think", came the reply from unseen Mocker #2

Many hoped to see another William Hung. To get a good laugh over some dorky performance like we're so used to seeing them in many talent shows. We (the audience in the hall and on Youtube) hoped to fall down on the floor laughing but the opposite happened. I'm not sure of the adjective to use I think it was stunning, almost ethereal, the moment she sang the first line: I dreamed a dream in time gone by...

Wow! What else could I say? The cliched "don't judge a book by it's cover"? Or "don't be an ass and think you're so dang good"? So yeah, what's in a name or a title? Is it arrogance or meekness? The former I've seen almost everyday. Come May, I'd be seeing more when viva voce goes full swing.

So, let us dream and keep dreaming. To live that dream and to hope. Not to idle away but to be encouraged that as we function in our own niche, we'd be safe from the vultures. Oh, I'm not making sense anymore. Her performance is playing right now and I'm just mesmerized by it, and Amanda too. Ah, a lovely Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/