Pages

Backdrops

Currently transiting: Loch Lomond, Scotland | Previous destination: Kernavė Archaeological Site, Lithuania

Thursday 15 November 2007

Around The Corner

Got an e-mail a few days ago (thanks Vanessa) with a poem attached to it. Ran a quick search on the net and found that it was composed by Charles Hanson Towne (1877-1949). No reviews whatsoever; read and feel how much it applies today.

Around the corner I have a friend
In this great city that has no end
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on
And before I know it, a year is gone

And I never see my old friend's face
For life is a swift and terrible race
He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine, but we were younger then
And now we are busy, tired men
Tired of playing a foolish game
Tired of trying to make a name

"Tomorrow" I say! "I will call on Jim
Just to show that I'm thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes
And distance between us grows and grows

Around the corner, yet miles away
"Here's a telegram sir," "Jim died today."
And that's what we get and deserve in the end

Around the corner, a vanished friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away! I'd like to know what's on your mind.

/*note to JC: javascript below added 19Aug2012*/